CMAA currently has more than 1,200 student members and maintains 47 student chapters and colonies at colleges and universities throughout the United States. Any student who is studying hospitality management at a four-year college or university may apply for a CMAA student membership even if there is not a chapter currently on your campus.
The Florida Chapter is proud to be associated with four (4) established CMAA Student Chapters – Florida State University (FSU), Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU), Johnson & Wales University-Miami (J&W) and the University of Central Florida (UCF).
Student Chapter Members are invited to participate on a complimentary basis in all Regional Education sessions. Invitations to Summer Conferences are available with a small entrance fee.
Student Chapter Criteria
Student Chapters must also operate their chapter activities by rules set forth by CMAA’s Bylaws. The following criteria are necessary for existing Student Chapters and colonies as well as for prospective schools that want to affiliate with CMAA.
- Student chapters must have a minimum of 10 student members at all times.
- Each chapter should hold a minimum of seven meetings during the school year, four of which must be educational. Reports of all meetings must be submitted to National Headquarters and to respective committee / chapter members within 15 days following the meeting.
- Each student chapter must include participation of a minimum of one club tour each year. This may be considered one of the four educational meetings and minutes should be sent to the National Headquarters.
- Within three years of being granted a Student Chapter charter, the university/college must have a club management course as part of its curriculum.
- The Chapter President must submit an annual report to CMAA National Office by May 1 of each year or 15 days after the last Chapter meeting, whichever is first.
At the end of each school year, each Chapter is reviewed by the Chapter/Member Services Committee to determine if the Chapter requirements have been met. Failure to meet the criteria may result in probation.
For more information on the individual student chapters/colonies associated with the Florida Chapter, please click on the links to the left. For information on starting a student colony, please contact Florida Chapter or National office at firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.cmaa.org/contactcmaastudentprogram.aspx respectively.
Student Scholarships - World Conference 2018
The Florida Chapter will fund up to $10,000 Student Scholarships for participation in the 2018 CMAA World Conference in San Francisco, March 2 - 6, 2018.
Many FLCMAA Chapter clubs offer Student Internship Programs. This program allows students to fulfill their curriculum requirements and gain beneficial experience to forward their club careers. Download the 2018 Internship Brochure here.